Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Where There Is Doubt, Faith



Where There Is Doubt, Faith



In thinking about doubt today, I looked at the many people sitting around me in the cafeteria and thought about what they "doubted". I thought perhaps they doubted their futures, what it might hold or not hold. I thought that perhaps they doubted the goodness of the planet, feeling the dread of wars and tragedies. I thought that perhaps they had the doubt of the Creator--if there was one, what He/She affected in their lives, and what their relationship was with him/her. Then I thought the biggest doubt would be that when people doubt themselves.

Then I thought about what I doubted. Oh boy! It occur ed to me that I have doubted myself so many many times and that I was "taken care of" by the universe....by God. I have doubted love in my life....whether I was loved and whether I could love. I thought that my life was full of many instances of doubt.

So this line of the prayer states let me sow faith. Let me encourage, convince others that they have worth, that they are worthwhile, that their future is in good hands. Let me endow myself with the peace of knowing that all is right with my world and let me be glad in it. Let me have faith and let it take the place of doubt.

That, I think, is the key. It's not that doubt and faith are a part of our lives. That is a given...but the process of changing one to the other is the element of joy in this equation. Just knowing that we CAN change.

Isn't that miraculous?



No comments: